Untitled No. 1
Santa Monica, CA
Start Date: September 27, 2021
Full-time (40 hours/week) early childhood teacher in a Santa Monica nature-based preschool for children aged 3-6. Setting is a house converted to a center that maintains a home-like environment. (See website: untitledno1.org)
Program hours are Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.
Collaborate with team teachers, director, and founder in pedagogical and professional development – teaching and learning of teachers and children. This includes, for example, preparation and study of daily documentation on what children demonstrate (their actions/ideas-theories/interests), and cyclical observation/planning/assessment-reflection of small group inquiries (aka investigations, provocations, invitations) that teachers develop with intention in order to maximize the learning potential of each child. This work requires teachers to create effective learning environments, again in collaboration with the team.
Participate with the founder, director, and teaching team in monthly Family Forums: whole parent group meets 6-7pm onsite.
Beyond the requirements of a Fully Qualified Teacher according to California Department of Social Services http://ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/ChildCareCtrProviderReqStaffQual.pdf, teachers at our site should have:
– B.A. in ECE or related field with deep knowledge and understanding of child development – Significant experience (at least 3 years) in a quality center teaching young children
– Devotion to constructivism and consider themselves researchers and “lifelong learners”
– Disposition to thrive on working as a team to best serve one another’s learning, and best serve the learning of the children and their families
– Commitment to the Santa Monica community, with focus on serving our Pico neighborhood
– Commitment to diversity in a learning environment
– Communication talents
– Literacy in Spanish — preferred
Our team of teachers combines multiple talents (e.g., musical, languages, sciences, technology) so one’s full life experience is pertinent here.
Negotiable salary, commensurate with education and experience ($26+/hourly)
Comprehensive health benefits package offered.
Professional development opportunities and annual stipend.
Our site is WELL certified which, among other benefits, promotes employee wellbeing. https://www.wellcertified.com/certification/v1/
Healthy food is provided: one snack and one lunch daily.
1. View website: untitledno1.org
2. Submit resumé, credentials, and (3) letters of reference with a cover letter to describe how you see yourself teaching at this site in this context
3. Selected qualified applicants will be interviewed in person or via teleconference if needed.
4. An onsite teaching demonstration
Untitled No. 1 has as its mission to serve our community by offering families and children a joyous and engaging preschool experience, replete with opportunities to learn from nature and from one another. Because children learn best in diverse settings, Untitled No. 1 admits families evenly spread across income levels and provides scholarships to achieve this balance.
Families are evenly spread across income levels. 1/3 of the families pay full tuition. 1/3 of the families pay no tuition. 1/3 of the families pay partial tuition on a sliding scale.
We are a non-profit early education center (opened September 2018) that aims to serve our community and families through practicing to the highest educational and environmental standards. The creation of this preschool was/is inspired by the work in Reggio Emilia (and consequently, elsewhere) and we are engaged in research of constructivist-minded methodologies. We are dedicated to anti-bias anti-racist action in our work with one another and with children. Front and back outdoors we have nature-based settings and we are within walking distance from 3 city parks where we take children daily, and from the Expo line for weekly farmers market shopping trips with children. Our kitchen is one of our learning areas and all morning snacks, lunches, and afternoon snacks are prepared onsite.
Note the ages served are pre-K/TK/K. Families are encouraged to stay for 2-years before leaving for elementary school.
Laila Taslimi is the founder and can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Director is Erika Luna email@example.com
Together, we are empowering exceptional education.