Blue Heron Nature Preserve
Start Date: January 6, 2020
Blue Heron Nature Preserve in Atlanta, GA seeks a Director of Education Programs with a passion for place-based environmental education, leadership skills and experience to champion its educational programming, dedication to advance conservation initiatives, and the ability to strengthen support among diverse stakeholders for one of the most impressive parks in Atlanta and the region.
With resourcefulness and resolve, this nonprofit organization connects children and adults to nature through innovative education, conservation, and arts initiatives at its thirty-acre greenspace. Completion of the Blueway Trail has boosted public access to four ecosystems, increased the number of park visitors, and amplified our commitment for high-quality programming at the Preserve.
The Director of Education Programs will be responsible for the successful management of Blue Heron day camps, after school programs, outreach programs, and field trip programs. This position is supported with an Administrative Assistant. Embracing Reggio Emilia curriculum as a core value for the organization, the Director shall be dedicated to fulfilling the Preserve’s vision as a respected Atlanta Urban Ecology Center and a conservation leader in the Southeast. Benefits for this full-time position include paid sick time and vacation.
Grow the quality, sustainability, and influence of Reggio-Emilia based educational programming
● Organize, schedule, and serve as summer camp and school break camp director responsible for safe and inspiring camp experiences for youth.
● Recruit, train, evaluate, and direct a small staff of contract environmental educators for onsite and outreach education programming, including camps, after school programming, outreach programs, field trips, scout programs, homeschool programs, and our Youth Conservation Leadership Program.
● Teach after school programs, school field trip programs, and other education programs, as needed, to establish familiarity with our community and to grow an understanding of how our programs benefit the community.
● Manage the education programs budget.
● Ensure that education programming reflects the organization’s commitment to excellence with place-based environmental education, reinforces the principles of Reggio Emilia, and follows local and state guidelines.
Enhance the local and regional impact and influence of the organization in the educational and conservation community
● Strengthen partnerships with schools, teachers, the educational community, and conservation organizations.
● Maintain Blue Heron’s membership in selected organizations, including the Environmental Education Alliance of Georgia and the North American Association for Environmental Education.
Work closely with Blue Heron staff and committee members onsite and remotely for the development, management, and advancement of programming
● Develop content for marketing, promotional, and fundraising uses.
● Research and assist, as needed, with applications for grants.
Bachelor’s degree in environmental education, biology or another life science, or equivalent. Current Adult, child and infant CPR/First Aid. Familiarity with values and principles of Reggio Emilia, place-based environmental education, and the implementation of an emergent curriculum. Experience with conservation. 2+ years in a leadership position, 3-5 years of experience as a non-formal educator, and 3+ years of experience working in a non-profit organization.
Master’s degree in environmental education, environmental management, education, or equivalent. Ability to speak Spanish, WFA or WFR certification, Lifeguard certification.
Salary is dependent upon experience and qualifications.
Expected Start Date: On or before February 8th. Start date is negotiable.
Interested applicants should email email@example.com and use the subject header “Director of Education Programs”. Please submit your cover letter and CV.
A Reggio-emilia inspired education program that engages the 30 acres of green space in North Buckhead.
Sam Rafferty: firstname.lastname@example.org
Together, we are empowering exceptional education.