The Roberts Field School
84 7th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY
Start Date: August 23, 2021
The Roberts Field School unifies academics, creativity, and nature through interdisciplinary education, promoting a more peaceful, just, and innovative world. In all areas of our programming we are dedicated to:
• progressive education
• social justice curriculum
• peace-based educational initiatives
• the growth of culturally and racially diverse classroom populations in our independent educational center
• outreach to promote equity in education for children throughout the Brooklyn community and the world
Our program is a small, independent elementary school of Grades K through 5 located in Park Slope, Brooklyn. We offer children a progressive and holistic approach to rich and invigorating academics, coupled with a schooling experience centered upon art and creativity, science and nature, music, humanities, compassionate awareness practices. The nexus of the Roberts Field curricular program is an interdisciplinary approach in which the academic curriculum becomes one with the creative process.
Each class in our school is a small blended-grade community of approximately 16 students who are co-taught by two teachers. We are committed to offering a highly differentiated, enriching, and engaging experience for all students.
Please see our website for more information. www.robertsfieldschool.org
About the position:
Each day for reading, writing, and math, students are broken into smaller groups for mini lessons, activities, and practice along with one of their two co-teachers. We are seeking an experienced teacher to collaborate in designing unit and lesson plans across the year and within each thematic unit of study. Each co-teacher sculpts and facilitates grade-level instruction with small groups of students in the blended grade class in reading, writing, and math.
Our ideal candidate has robust experience teaching English Language Arts and Math, a commitment to collaboration, and a strong interest in integration of arts, sciences, and nature.
· Plan and guide reading, writing, and math instruction
· Prepare student materials and provide regular feedback on student work.
· Establish and manage classroom social-emotional and behavioral expectations.
Experience and Mindset:
· Experience teaching English Language Arts/Balanced Literacy in elementary grades
· Experience teaching math in elementary grades
· Commitment to collaborative team planning and teaching
· Interest and experience in teaching interdisciplinary curricula
· Skill and proficiency in social-emotional and behavioral management
· Dedication to providing differentiated, enriching, and engaging experience for all students across a broad range of levels
· Self-reflective and open to support and feedback from literacy and math specialists and directors
All applicants must be great communicators, team players, and be inspired by working within a holistically-minded program. Our small and close leadership team is consistently involved with the life of the program and classroom, as well as the lives and development of the families and students, as pertains to the student growth and well-being in the classroom.
4-Year Degree Required
· Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree in Education, Teaching Certification preferred
Highly competitive salary, commensurate with experience and credentials
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter to Robin Pickering, Director of Programming, (firstname.lastname@example.org) telling us about yourself and why our school and the position would be well suited to your experience and passions.
Together, we are empowering exceptional education.