Newtowne School, Cambridge MA located in Harvard Square
Start Date: August 1, 2019
Newtowne School, a Reggio-inspired, parent cooperative preschool for children ages 22 months to 5 years, seeks a forward-thinking and committed Executive Director to lead child-centered, developmentally-appropriate programming for Newtowne’s Core, Extended Day, and Summer programs. This person will oversee the administrative leadership of the school by maintaining compliance with appropriate licensing bodies and insurers, organizing schedules, directing staff hiring and student admissions, and ensuring that student files are appropriately up-to-date. Working with the parent-led Board of Directors, s/he will be responsible for recommending policies and procedures to ensure the daily operations of the school, as well as educational programs and innovations. S/he will guide a dedicated, experienced corps of educators in implementing the educational mission that has undergirded Newtowne for 45 years: play, self-discovery, and the importance of relationships. Above all, s/he will maintain a welcoming and collaborative environment at Newtowne and in the broader community. As the front-facing ambassador for our school, this individual will champion a vision that will advance the school’s dynamism and its reputation that draws visitors from around the world.
• Bachelor’s degree in education, child development, or related field
• Massachusetts EEC Director I or Director II Certification or equivalent (if licensed in another state)
• Minimum of two years teaching experience in a preschool environment
• Experience implementing child-led, inquiry-based curricula, with a focus on observation, reflection, and documentation
• Excellent interpersonal skills, especially written and verbal communication
• A demonstrated ability to lead, energize, and effectively delegate tasks among interdisciplinary work teams
• Advanced degree in education, child development, or related field
• Experience as a school administrator or director, ideally at the preschool level
• Commitment to maintaining Newtowne’s engagement and leadership in local and national Reggio-inspired professional networks
• Dedication to teacher mentorship, professional development, and advocacy, with experience utilizing the Critical Friends approach
• Background in anti-bias curriculum and/or teaching for social justice
• Previous involvement in cooperative preschool settings and/or navigating home-school partnerships
About Newtowne School: Serving roughly 60 students of diverse backgrounds, the Newtowne School’s mission is to provide a warm, caring environment that seeks to guide young children as they become citizens of the world. We are committed to developing children’s self-confidence and love of learning as we help them learn to negotiate new relationships and appreciate diversity. Our Reggio-inspired community is deeply cooperative with parents, teachers, and administrators working together to create a peaceful and supportive environment for the children. Located in the heart of Harvard Square in Cambridge, Newtowne School is embedded in our larger community and prioritizes opportunities for exploration outside of the walls of the school.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume detailing their interest and qualifications for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information visit: http://newtowneschool.org/careers/
Together, we are empowering exceptional education.