Brooklyn Free Space
298 6th Avenue
Brooklyn NY 11215
Start Date: July 1, 2021
Brooklyn Free Space is seeking an Executive Educational Director to begin in Summer 2021. The Executive Educational Director is responsible for the overall operation of the BFS program, maintaining a cohesive educational vision for the school, developing and promoting the warm and welcoming culture of BFS, ensuring full enrollment, driving fundraising support for the school’s priorities, and serving as the ambassador of the school to the community. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is deeply committed to early childhood education and also thrives in an advocacy role. We are looking for an experienced, energetic, creative professional.
The ideal candidate will be invigorated by the challenge of working with the Board of Trustees and BFS Steering Committee on a vision for the future while also meeting the current demands of running the school. This is an opportunity to provide expert leadership to promote the BFS mission and approach to learning and teaching while strategically developing relationships with community partners, potential funders, and elected and appointed officials to ensure its continued future success.
– Vision and Long-term Planning: Set and lead the long term vision for BFS; develop and manage an annual operating budget.
– Curriculum and Educational Philosophy: Train and support the teachers in creating a classroom curriculum that reflects the BFS educational philosophy and adheres to developmentally appropriate practice (DAP) in Early Childhood Education (ECE). Prioritize learning through play and hands-on exploration and building upon the core foundation of social and emotional development.
– Supervision of Staff: Oversee all teaching and non-teaching staff, including Operations Manager and Assistant Educational Director.
– Admissions & Budgeting: Manage and consult with Operations Manager to support the admissions process; oversee and approve the annual tuition and service rates and the agenda for yearly budget review with BFS Steering Committee and the Board of Trustees (topics include: financial aid allocation, salaries, benefits packages, expenditure management and financial goals targeting).
– Support Educational Staff: Collaborate with Assistant Educational Director and teaching teams to discuss classroom needs, children and curriculum.
– Oversee Licensing, Health and Safety Requirements
– Oversee Pre-K for All Educational Requirements
– Develop and Maintain Community Partnerships: Build positive relationships and keep open communication with BFS families and caregivers; Foster connections with the larger community (agencies, providers, therapists, other preschool directors, etc.) to receive and share resources and support.
– Candidates must have Permanent or Professional Certification in Early Childhood Education
– A minimum of 5 years teaching experience
– Experience in Administration a plus
Full-time, year round position. Salary commensurate with experience.
Health insurance includes medical and vision
Employer matching for retirement plan
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion: We believe that all forms of diversity—whether it be economic, racial, gender or in regards to family structure—benefit the entire community. Creating a heterogeneous school environment for our children that reflects the make-up of our city and the world at large, is crucial for their healthy development of self and cultural competency. To do this, we seek out a diverse student applicant pool, paying close attention during our lottery to the racial and ethnic makeups of each classroom. We also pay close attention to ensure that our workshops and events represent many different voices and are accessible to all.
To realize this goal in practice, our teachers work to provide classroom resources that provide opportunities for our young children to learn about the diverse world around them and to question the unavoidable exposure of stereotypical thinking around issues of race, culture & gender.
Brooklyn Free Space is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Candidates should email their cover letter, resume, and (optionally) philosophy of education to BFSHiringcommittee@gmail.com.
Brooklyn Free Space (BFS) is a place where children grow and develop with the nurturing guidance of dedicated and experienced administration and full-time teaching staff. As a cooperative, BFS is a community-based organization in all aspects of operation, as well as philosophy. BFS is run by a combination of committed member families, professional teachers and administrators who work together to create a warm, diverse and responsive environment for our children.
BFS accommodates 62 children in four classrooms with a student-teacher ratio that ranges from 4:1 to 6:1, depending on the students’ ages.
Together, we are empowering exceptional education.