Laurelwood Community Preschool
4710 Waxhaw-Marvin Road
Waxhaw, NC 28173
Suburb of Charlotte, NC
Start Date: January 4, 2021
We are looking for an experienced educator to work with our four/fives class as a co-teacher. This position is full-time, Monday – Friday approximately 6:45 am to 3:00 pm. On Tuesdays, there is a staff meeting until 4:15 pm. We are a year-round school.
Highlights of Position
• Supports the social and emotional development of children through the use of conflict resolution, reflective listening and inquiry
• Utilizes the environment as the third teacher by creating a beautiful, intentional and stimulating indoor and outdoor classroom
• Communicates regularly with parents in order to make learning visible through daily and weekly documentation such as notes, portfolios, emails, documentation boards, etc.
• Seeks parents and family input as a way to extend projects, reflect on past work and build relationships in our Laurelwood community
• Collaborates with colleagues to analyze and interpret documentation and envision/create the next steps for small group exploration
• Comfortable working in an environment where the children’s interests serve as the catalyst for learning versus a predetermined curriculum
• Appreciation for and a desire to scaffold nature-based education
• Attends school events, activities outside of the classroom, weekly staff meeting
• Utilizes research, documentation, and assessments to guide teaching and curriculum. NC Foundations is heavily utilized.
• Holds parent-teacher conferences twice per year. Meets with parents at other times as deemed necessary.
• 2-year or 4-year degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development, or BA/BS degree in a closely related field with 12 semester credit hours in Early Childhood Education/Child Development
• One year of full-time verifiable early childhood work experience preferably in an inquiry-based or Reggio-inspired school
• Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and written
• Computer literacy and skills in Microsoft Office
• Kind, nurturing, playful, and patient demeanor
• Organizational skills
• Creative thinker
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Must be able to successfully pass criminal background check. Submission of physician-approved Medical Report and negative TB test.
Are you looking for a totally different experience and environment in early childhood education? An environment where you can actually do meaningful work with children because the ratios are lower? A school that is run as a collaborative with administration and not top-down decisions from administration? Below are some of the highlights you can expect as a professional educator with Laurelwood Community Preschool.
• Minimum salary $31,200.
• An employer where the work/life balance is understood. There is 4 hours of built-in planning time, outside of children’s nap time, so work at home is not needed.
• A place where we understand time off makes one a better professional. We offer 15 paid holidays, 2 weeks’ vacation after 1 year, and 3 sick/personal days annually. This is 28 paid days off per year. More vacation is provided after 6 years of employment.
• An employer that values professional development. We have 3 paid full days in which the school is closed and 2 half days in which the school is closed for professional development. We also have Educator Exchanges and Creating the Future Conferences where we present our Reggio-inspired practices to others. There are various classes, workshops, and conferences we participate in depending on availability and training needs.
• An environment where securing time off is not an issue.
• A place where requests for materials to make your life as an educator easier and ensuring the needs of the children are provided for are met with a quick response.
• An employer where benefits are seen as important offering a matching 401(k) program where you are fully vested in the company’s match at the onset instead of building up ownership over time. A $200/mo health care contribution toward qualified health care plans that assists in providing for your well-being. A 25% discount on tuition for one’s children. Other benefits include bereavement pay, jury duty pay, etc.
• A place where there is always an extra hand to assist with whatever is needed.
• A work environment where respect is the cornerstone of all we do. Respect in the way we approach each other, the way we talk with each other, and the way we listen to each other. Respect in how we interact and treat the children and their families.
• An preschool where the quality of other items that make a great Reggio-inspired program is not forgotten: 2 paid days during the school year in which the school is closed for parent-teacher conferences, 1 paid day in which the school is closed for room transitions. Weekly staff meeting and weekly and art studio collaboration time. The unique opportunity to loop with your group of children forming the closest of bonds with the children and families seeing firsthand the growth of the children under your guidance as an educator. A $1,000 bonus is awarded for completing a full looping cycle of four years.
Please visit www.laurelwoodcommunitypreschool.com. Go to the About Us tab, Employment Opportunities to complete an application. Instructions are given there on how to send your resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications for the position. Only qualified candidates will be notified regarding their submissions. Thank you in advance for your interest in being part of the Laurelwood team!
At Laurelwood, we are inspired by the world-renowned Reggio Emilia approach to early education, which focuses on inquiry and discovery while emphasizing learning through the natural sciences and expressive arts in a play-based environment. Our goal is to stimulate children’s learning, support critical thinking and make learning visible. We achieve this goal by engaging in project-based learning, collaboration between children, educators, family members and documentation of the students’ learning during the process.
Kristin Gartner, Preschool Director
Together, we are empowering exceptional education.