Untitled No. 1 School
Santa Monica, California
Start Date: November 4, 2019
Full-time early childhood teacher in a Santa Monica preschool for children aged 4-5. Setting is a house converted to a center that maintains home-like environment. (See website: untitledno1.org)
Program hours are Monday-Friday 7:30am-6pm, so full-time shifts are 7:30am – 4pm and 9:30am-6pm.
Collaborate with team teachers, director, and founder in pedagogical and professional development – teaching and learning of teachers and children. This includes, for example, preparation and study of quotidian documentation on what children demonstrate (their actions/ideas-theories/interests), and cyclical observation/planning/assessment-reflection of small group inquiries (aka investigations, provocations, invitations) that teachers develop with intention in order to maximize the learning potential of each child. This work requires teachers to create effective learning environments, again in collaboration with the team.
Participate with founder and director in monthly Family Forums: whole parent group meets 6-7pm.
Beyond the requirements of a Fully Qualified Teacher according to California Department of Social Services http://ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/ChildCareCtrProviderReqStaffQual.pdf, teachers at our site should have:
– B.A. in ECE or related field with deep knowledge and understanding of child development
– Significant experience (at least 3 years) in a quality center teaching young children
– Devotion to constructivism and consider themselves researchers and “lifelong learners”
– Disposition to thrive on working as a team to best serve one another’s learning, and best serve the learning of the children and their families
– Commitment to the Santa Monica community, with focus on serving our Pico neighborhood
– Commitment to diversity in a learning environment
– Communication talents
– Literacy in Spanish — preferred
Our team of teachers combines multiple talents (e.g., musical, languages, sciences, technology) so one’s full life experience is pertinent here.
Negotiable salary, commensurate with education and experience.
Comprehensive benefits package offered.
Public transportation (TAP Card) provided. Professional development opportunities.
Our site is WELL certified which, among other benefits, promotes employee wellbeing. https://www.wellcertified.com/certification/v1/
Healthy food is provided: one snack and one lunch daily.
Start date: immediate.
1. View website: untitledno1.org
2. Submit resumé, credentials, and (3) letters of reference with a cover letter to describe how you see yourself teaching at this site in this context
3. Selected qualified applicants will be interviewed in person or via teleconference if needed.
4. An onsite teaching demonstration
Untitled No. 1 has as its mission to serve our community by offering families and children a joyous and engaging preschool experience, replete with opportunities to learn from nature and from one another. Because children learn best in diverse settings, Untitled No. 1 admits families evenly spread across income levels and provides scholarships to achieve this balance.
Families are evenly spread across income levels. 1/3 of the families pay full tuition. 1/3 of the families pay no tuition. 1/3 of the families pay partial tuition on a sliding scale.
We are a new, non-profit early education center (opened September 2018) that aims to serve our community and families through practicing to the highest educational and environmental standards. The creation of this preschool was/is inspired by the work in Reggio Emilia (and consequently, elsewhere) and we are engaged in research of constructivist-minded methodologies. Front and back outdoors we have nature-based settings and we are within walking distance from 3 city parks where we take children daily, and from the Expo line for weekly farmers market shopping trips with children. Our kitchen is one of our learning areas and all morning snacks, lunches, and afternoon snacks are prepared onsite.
Note the ages served are pre-K. Families are encouraged to stay for 2-years before leaving for elementary school.
Laila Taslimi is the founder and can be reached via email at
Together, we are empowering exceptional education.