Adelphi University, New York, NY
Start Date: September 9, 2022
Teacher, Alice Brown Early Learning Center
• Must support the mission of the Adelphi University Alice Brown Early Learning Center, promote family activities and participation, and develop and maintain authentic, meaningful relationships with the children.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the theories of child growth and development, early childhood education and family support.
• Understand and demonstrate knowledge of the underlying philosophies of constructivist educational practices.
• Promote and support children’s social, emotional, cognitive, language and physical development.
• Responsible for mentoring and supporting Adelphi University student learners at the undergraduate and graduate level.
• Lead and model professionalism, teamwork and a collaborative spirit within the classroom teaching team, the center and the greater Adelphi University community.
• Develop and maintain supportive, professional relationships with children and their families to enhance parent education, communication, involvement and advocacy.
• Responsible for directly supervising and developing the classroom staff and managing the day-to-day operations in the classroom.
• Responsible for developing and expanding curriculum based on children’s interests and needs in conjunction with developmentally appropriate best practices.
REPORTS TO: Director of the Early Learning Center
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
• Reflect on children’s needs and interests, develop topic focuses, plan, implement and assess curriculum for the classroom setting.
• Develop and refine general focuses and activity possibilities for overall curriculum for the school, in collaboration with the whole professional staff assuring learning experiences are developmentally appropriate, and relevant to children’s interests and daily lives in the context of family, community, and culture.
• Supervise and lead classroom team in planning, implementing and assessing developmentally appropriate curriculum.
• Ensure that the outdoor play environment is well organized and utilized as an extension of the classroom setting.
• Plan and carry out daily classroom routine that is consistent yet flexible and meets the needs of the diverse learners in the group.
• Record, document and assess children’s work and progress.
• Maintain active two way communications with parents and other University personnel.
• Monitor and supervise student staff.
• Plan and conduct on-going parent conferences.
• Mentor and support student work-study employees and graduate assistants employed by the program.
• Collaborate with, mentor and support student observers, and certification candidates placed in classroom.
• Engage in meaningful on-going professional development opportunities; including trainings required by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services, and Adelphi University.
• Understand and implement Child Day Care Regulations as administered by the Office of Children and Family Services.
• Maintain an orderly, sanitary classroom environment.
• Continually update knowledge of child development, early childhood curriculum, and staff development through appropriate publications, trainings, and courses.
• Actively participate in advocacy to enhance the care and education of children.
• Model and maintain confidentiality in and outside of the classroom setting in regard to children, parents, staff, students and observers.
• Assist in developing modifications for diverse learners and supporting families understanding of the child’s learning needs and share strategies and techniques for supporting the child’s continued growth and development.
• Attend EI, CPSE and CSE meetings when necessary, work cooperatively with service providers to ensure the learning environment meets the child’s needs.
• Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication and organizational skills.
• A strong foundation in child development.
• Ability to interact in a supportive and positive manner with a diverse student body.
• Knowledge of the process of curriculum development for children ages infancy through six.
• Working knowledge of software programs for documentation use.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, E-mail and Windows.
• Understand and maintain confidentiality.
• Strong student service, mentoring and support skills.
• Display sound decision making skills.
• Display ability to appropriately supervise children in a group and use transition techniques to move children through the daily routine.
• Possess the ability to lift 50 lbs. or more.
• Ability to bend, stoop and move freely.
• Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education and/or early childhood special education or a closely related education field, with NYS certification.
• Experience teaching children age 18 months to 5 years, Child Development Associate credential and three years working with children 5 and under.
• Experience working in a student service environment is highly desirable.
• Candidates who have a master’s degree in early childhood education/ early childhood special education and three years preschool teaching experience is considered a plus.
• Specific experience and/or training in infant/toddler care will be required of Toddler level teachers.
• Student Work Study Employees.
• Graduate Assistants.
• Candidates for Student Teaching.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students’ lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island’s oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 7,500 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students 75 undergraduate programs, more than 70 master’s degree and doctoral programs, and 55 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 118,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 44 states and 65 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3435147
Together, we are empowering exceptional education.