University Primary School @ The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
51 Gerty Drive
Champaign, IL 61820
Start Date: August 16, 2020
The College of Education at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking a Visiting Specialist in Education (Head Teacher) for the Preschool classroom at University Primary School. The Preschool classroom head teacher of the University Primary School is responsible for leading and decision-making within the classroom, and contributing to the greater good of the school and University community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for carrying out the day-to-day educational Reggio Emilia inspired program, implementing the curricular framework of inquiry, incorporating student decision-making, facilitating inquiry activities, promoting the greater good of the school, and individualizing instruction as needed by each child.
• Responsible for providing leadership for teaching assistants, student teachers, and student volunteers, and maintaining effective communications with parents.
• Responsible for working with researchers and promoting an atmosphere of shared inquiry within the Illinois and greater education community.
• Work closely and make decisions for the classroom with input from graduate assistants and grad or academic hourly employees who may be in the position of co-teachers in the classroom. Work closely and make decisions for the classroom and school with other head teachers and with school director.
Required Education, Experience and Qualifications:
• BA/BS degree in early childhood or elementary education, or related field working toward degree in elementary or early childhood education
• Teaching experience with children in a school setting.
• Willingness to pursue certification in early childhood or elementary education
The Visiting Specialist in Education position is a benefits eligible academic professional position that is intended to be full time, but this is negotiable. It is a 9 month service position paid over 12 months. The start date for the position is August 16, 2020, and the deadline for applying is July 17, 2020. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position may become permanent at a later date. Typically a teacher is with us for several years before we make the position permanent.
To apply, please complete a candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and submit a cover letter specific to this opening, resume, and three letters of reference. The review of applications will begin immediately. The closing date for applications is July 17, 2020 but is expected to be extended, please see website link. Interviews may begin before the close date. However, no hiring decision will be made until after that date, and consideration will continue until a suitable candidate is identified for the position.
University Primary School (Uni Primary) is the University of Illinois College of Education’s Preschool-5th grade Reggio Emilia-inspired lab school. Preschool children experience active and engaging indoor and outdoor play alongside emergent investigations, grounded in the lives of children. Uni Primary’s preschool strives to build a democratic classroom community that makes effective use of cooperation, negotiation, and choice as a means to foster children’s intellect, curiosity, and love of learning. At Uni Primary, “Learning is Serious Delight!”. https://uniprimary.illinois.edu/home
For more information about the position, please contact: Director of University Primary School, Dr. Alisha Lewis at email@example.com.
Together, we are empowering exceptional education.